Older people

Older People

Your home should be somewhere you feel safe and comfortable. This section tells you about some of the services that are provided by the council and other organisations who work together to provide accommodation and support for older people.

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered, retirement or warden-assisted housing are all terms used to describe accommodation provided specifically for elderly people. Schemes usually have the services of a warden or scheme manager, though increasingly this person lives off site, or the service is provided as 'floating support', with periodic visits from a member of staff.

Each property will have an alarm system so the resident can summon help in an emergency. For more information about applying for sheltered house, visit the local housing associations page of this website.

Extra Care 

Assisted living, extra care housing or housing-with-care are terms used to described various models of retirement housing for older people who can no longer live completely on their own but do not need 24-hour complex medical supervision.

In its most developed form, extra care housing is seen as an alternative to residential care (care home). Extra care housing schemes offer a high level of services and facilities, meals and personal care services.

The extra care schemes in Conwy are run by the local housing associations.

Home Care

The range of care services for elderly people living in their own homes is extensive, and will depend on the needs of individual older people. Care services include those which provide domiciliary personal care, and this is practical help with personal daily tasks such as dressing or bathing.

Other specialist care services include those for people with dementia, services provided by opticians or chiropodists, nursing care provided by qualified nurses, as well as telecare, telehealth, respite care, practical assistance for elderly people after hospital admission, and services that support unpaid carers of elderly people to have a break.

Adapting properties

Minor adaptations are small works to the home of a disabled elderly person that enable them to remain independent. These adaptations include a wide variety of hand rails or grab rails that can be installed, including stair rails, floor mounted rails and folding rails. Other adaptations include lever taps, raised electric sockets, door entry intercom, window opening equipment, bathing equipment, flashing doorbells, and key safes. Occupational Therapists assess which adaptations will best suit your needs, although equipment for older people with disabilities can be purchased directly.

Major adaptations are permanent works to the home of an elderly person with a permanent or substantial disability, to help them to remain independent. Some examples of major adaptations are bathroom conversions to install a level access shower room also known as a wet room, home extensions to provide downstairs bathrooms or shower, ramps, through floor lifts, and stair lifts.

Over 55s Accommodation

There are a number of schemes for people who are over 55 and the accommodation is usual a bungalow or a flat. Generally, the accommodation has a link to an Alarm System where help call be called upon in an emergency.

The housing associations run schemes where accommodation is designated for people over a certain age. For more information about applying for over 55’s, visit the local housing associations page of this website.

Care & Repair

Care & Repair Agencies work to help older and disabled owner-occupiers to remain in their own homes, in their own communities, living as independently as possible, through providing information about choices that can improve safety, security, comfort and convenience. 

They do this by bringing together the expertise and finance needed to carry out the necessary repairs, improvements and/or adaptations to enable older or disabled people to remain in their own homes. This takes the form of advice and information, helping to apply for grant assistance where needed, practical assistance in the form of carrying out repairs quickly, as well as being able to pass on details of reputable builders.

The work undertaken can range from small items, a dripping tap, the installation of handrails or new locks, to major jobs such as building a specially adapted bathroom or replacing a roof. 

Care & Repair Agencies provide support to older and disabled people throughout the process.

Residential Care

Care homes for personal care, sometimes known as residential homes, are for people who need 24 hour support. Residents have a room, sometimes with their own en suite bathroom, and access to shared facilities.

These homes will help with personal care (getting up and going to bed, dressing, washing and toileting) as necessary, and they will supervise or administer medication. They provide all meals, and most will offer some social activities. They can normally provide care during short illnesses, but they do not provide long term nursing care. There will also be someone on call at night.