Domestic violence / abuse

Domestic Violence

If you are being threatened, abused or hurt by someone in your household, you are experiencing domestic violence. Housing is one of the most important issues you will need to address and there are a number of options available to you.

I want to stay in my home
Whatever your living arrangements, whether you are a tenant, owner-occupier or if you are living with a partner who is a tenant or owner occupier, you may be able take action to stop the violent person from entering the family home. If you are entitled to do this, you can apply to either the Magistrates' or County Court for an injunction. If he or she does not keep to the terms of the injunction, they could be committing a criminal offence and may be arrested.

You will need to contact a solicitor to take out an injunction or contact Welsh Womens Aid or for men the Dyn Project who can advise you about legal matters and housing options.

Housing Association tenants

If you are a tenant of a Housing Association who is experiencing domestic violence, your Housing Officer may be able to help you stay in your home and exclude the perpetrator from the property. You can speak to your Housing Officer in confidence about the problems you are experiencing and they will explain your options to you. Alternatively, contact Welsh Womens Aid or the Dyn Project for men.

Private tenants / owner occupiers

If you are a tenant of a private landlord or you or your partner are an owner occupier, you may still be able to get an injunction to keep the violent person away from your home. For further help and / or information, contact a solicitor, alternatively, contact Welsh Womens Aid or the Dyn Project for men.

I want to leave

If you need to leave the family home, you can apply to the Council as a homeless person. The Council has a duty to ensure that there is accommodation available to you while they are investigating your circumstances.

You can apply to any Council and you do not have to have any particular link with that area. This is to ensure that someone who has experienced domestic violence does not need to remain in the same area where the violent person is living.

The Council will probably ask you for information supporting your claim that you have experienced domestic violence. You will also need proof of your identity and previous address. Supporting evidence could consist of police reports, GP report and statements from friends or associates. However, as many women have to leave in a hurry and may be unable to bring the correct documents with them, and/or they may not have any supporting evidence, their application will still be considered.

The Council will not contact the person who has been violent if it will put you in danger.

The Council may advise you of the option of remaining in your home and getting an injunction (see above), however you are under no obligation to consider this option if it would expose you to risk or danger.


For many, the first point of call after experiencing domestic violence is a refuge. These are houses set up by staff who provide a safe space and temporary accommodation for people who are fleeing domestic violence. A number of different families will live in a refuge at one time. Each family will usually live in one large room and share the bathroom, toilet, kitchen and living room facilities.

The locations of refuges are kept secret to ensure the safety of the occupants. Staff working at refuges provide advice and support to the women and men living there. They can also refer women and men to counsellors, solicitors and advice services. To find out about refuge accommodation contact Welsh Womens Aid or the Dyn Project for men.

Contact Us

The first step you need to take is to contact Support People Team

Supporting People Unit
Gwynedd Council
LL55 1BN

Phone: 01286 682603