Housing Options - Privately Rented Accommodation

Privately Rented Accommodation

There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation in Gwynedd and properties are available in most areas. Renting privately offers:

Choice - a range of accommodation exists with flats and apartments being more readily available in some areas and houses in others

Flexibility - you choose which areas you want to consider

Speed - properties are available now

Furnished and non-furnished properties are available

Can I afford it?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit to help you pay the rent. You can use the Council's Housing Benefit Calculator to get an instant benefit estimate or contact the Council's Housing Benefit Team. Remember that you will also have to pay other bills such as gas, electricity and water - use the budget calculator or budget planner to help make sure that you can cover these costs.

Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by Local Housing Allowance rates. Please note that you may not receive the maximum amount as your household income and savings will be taken into account to assess your Housing Benefit claim.

What if I can't afford to pay a bond?

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, and do not have savings or access to money to pay a bond, Gwynedd Council's Homelessness Unit may be able to help.

How long will I be able to stay?

Tenancies are generally assured shorthold for 6 or 12 months. They can usually be extended if you haven't breached the terms of your tenancy agreement. As always, contact an advice agency if you need help.

What about furniture?

Furnished and unfurnished properties are available in most areas of Gwynedd.
Furniture Reuse Network and Freecycle may be able to assist with your furniture needs.

Alternatively, you may want to find out whether you are eligible for a Community Care Grant or Budgeting Loan to help with the costs of furniture/household equipment or other costs associated with the move.

How can I find a property?

Use the Available Properties link to find details of properties owned by landlords who accept Housing Benefit. The other option is to look in local papers.

The Landlord Accreditation Wales website provides details of landlords who are accredited and should therefore provide well managed accommodation. Similarly, the ARLA provides information about letting agents who meet specific professional management standards

What is the average rent price for a property in Gwynedd?

Average prices can be seen on the RentRight website.