Housing Options - Housing Association Accommodation

Housing Associations

Gwynedd Council work with a number of Housing Associations to provide thousands of properties within the Gwynedd area.

The Housing Associations occasionally have properties which they haven't got anyone on the waiting list, particularly Older Persons schemes or Supported Housing Schemes. To view availabilty, follow the link. 

Housing Association Properties Available

Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd Cyf
Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd Cyf (CCG) is a new social landlord, established on the 12th of April 2010 following a successful ballot of tenants in March 2009.

Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd is the new owner of Gwynedd Council houses and is responsible for the management and maintenance of over 6,300 homes.

The main purpose of CCG is to provide affordable, quality homes and services to tenants in a way which develops and enriches the culture and communities we serve. Our aim is to be the main provider of affordable homes in Gwynedd in a way which is open, fair and customer focused.

Giving tenants a voice and providing quality customer care is central to our values. CCG is run by a Board of 12 with four of those tenants – giving them a voice at the heart of the organisation. 

CCG employs around 220 staff with Ffrancon Williams as Chief Executive leading a team of three directors.
We are committed to investing £136 million over the next five years to modernise homes so that they reach the Welsh Housing Quality Standard. This work has already begun in some areas and will begin in earnest in 2011 with the installation of windows, doors and central heating. A total of £446 million is to be spent over 30 years to ensure homes will continue to reach the standard for future generations of tenants.

A new Common Housing Register and Common Allocations Policy for Gwynedd

The Gwynedd Council housing stock was transferred to the ownership of Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd with effect from 12th April 2010. Gwynedd Council have however retained some housing responsibilities, such as the Homelessness service, Private Sector Housing and Supporting People services.

Gwynedd Council also has its own Strategic Housing Policy Unit, who have, amongst other responsibilities, been co-ordinating the development of a Common Housing Register and Common Allocations Policy for Gwynedd. These projects have been developed in partnership between the Council and the four main Housing Associations in Gwynedd – Cymdeithas Tai Clwyd, Cymdeithas Tai Eryri, North Wales Housing Association and Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd.

The Common Allocations Policy effectively means that the five previous lettings policies (Gwynedd Council’s lettings policy and those of the four Housing Associations) will become one. The aim is to make the application process for social housing easy to understand, will be fair, effective, ensure transparency and that housing in the social sector is let to those in the greatest of need.

The policy will meet the requirements set out in Part VI Housing Act 1996 (as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002), giving reasonable preference to those applicants in greatest need. It also incorporates the key aims and objectives outlined in the Gwynedd Local Housing Strategy, aims and objectives of Gwynedd Council and those of the Housing Association partners.

I have applied - how long will I have to wait?

People are often surprised at how few properties the Housing Associations now have and how long the waiting list is. The area information provides details to help people who have applied for housing decide whether renting from the Housing Associations is right for them at the moment. This includes details of:

  • Where Housing Associations have properties
  • The number of lettings made in the various areas of the county
  • The number of applicants waiting to be housed

Have a look at the information to help you decide what you want to do.

I haven't applied yet - what are my options?

You can use the area information to get an idea of the availability of properties in different areas of Gwynedd and how many applicants are waiting for those areas.

The area information also provide details at a glance including availability of private rented sector properties which may be more suitable for you depending on where you want to live. If you are interested, you can find out more about buying a property through Assisted Home Ownership Schemes

Are you an existing Housing Association Tenant?

Existing Housing Association tenants who want to move can apply for an exchange or transfer.

You can use the Homeswapper website to find a suitable exchange either in Gwynedd or elsewhere.

Registration is free for most Housing Association tenants. You can choose to be advised of suitable matches by text, email or letter - whichever suits you.